Ghais Guevara - There Will Be No Super-Slave ALBUM REVIEW

The moment I found out that this guy has a song called “I Personally Wouldn’t Revive Queen Elizabeth (Pack Watch)” was when I knew I’d like this guy.


Most of this new set of reviews is gonna consist of two things: Whatever I heard in my backlog or a newly-released project that I’m excited about. This one lands as more of a backlog entry, but this dropped this past summer and I only found about it last month. I’m a little ashamed to admit it, but Anthony Fantano’s pretty positive review of this gave me the motivation to finally give this a shot. I pretty much have no idea who Ghais Guevara is, and both the title and cover of this already show something unique with the project. Let’s talk about There Will Be No Super-Slave.

Right off the bat, I adore the production on this. It’s grimy and tinged with industrial undertones that really began to stand out as I was hearing the project. Even the wild, frantic samples on the intro track introduce Guevara as a producer in an interesting way. Samples from SpongeBob and news footage about protests paint a dark image for the album. What feels like an achievement in of itself, though, is quite possibly one of the first times in my life I was jumpscared by a sample. At about the halfway point of “Patrisse Cullors Stole My Lunch Money,” a pitched-up Silk Sonic track plays and Ghais just begins to rap over it like a drill beat. A fucking Bruno Mars/Anderson .Paak-sampling drill beat is on this album. If that’s not inspired, I don’t know what is.

Admittedly, I was hoping that Guevara was as interesting a rapper as he is a producer. His pen game is *very* strong, but his delivery just wasn’t my cup of tea. I’m not that giant of a drill fan, and the use of pretty unconventional samples and the stellar production throughout this album really helped keep my attention throughout. I fully understand if people would think that the rapping is better than the production or if the production is a steaming pile of dogshit, and that’s just the boat I’m in for this project. There Will Be No Super-Slave shows potential for a juggernaut in the years to come, but there’s still a tiny bit of work to be done.


8/10



Listen here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube

Bandcamp




There Will Be No Super-Slave is self-released.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters