Porter Robinson - Nurture ALBUM REVIEW

I wanna just lay in a field of grass, but I’m allergic to pollen :(


I’ve always had a very strange relationship with electronic music. The bad music I’ve heard in the genre has been some of the worst music I’ve ever heard, and the good stuff is some of the greatest music I’ve ever heard. For some context, we have artists like The Chainsmokers on one end, and Daft Punk on the other. There are some subgenres in here too that work. Electropop is one of them, being an obvious fusion of pop and electronic music. In the little community of the AOTY website, the users there have been hyped as hell for this Porter Robinson album, Nurture. It’s apparently his first in seven years, and I’ve only heard one single from it, titled “Musician.” While it wasn’t the best electropop song I’ve heard, it’s certainly an interesting sound that I think can work pretty well. So, with how anticipated it is in the AOTY community, I figured I should take a listen and see what all the fuss is about. Let’s get into Nurture, shall we?

A very good way to describe this project as a whole is ‘relief.’ For nearly every song on here, there’s some type of hope. It feels incredibly personal not just to Robinson but to the listener as well. I know that’s an odd thing to say, but just roll with it. To my knowledge, Robinson produced this whole album himself, and quite frankly, it’s amazing. It feels very progressive and forward-thinking, and it makes the music feel epic in its own right. I’d be lying if I said that there are times where I feel like it sounds repetitive at some points, though. I’m not saying that every song has to be unique, but as the record went on, it just felt very samey, although that’s not a knock against the quality of the music.

For an hour of electronic music, Porter Robinson certainly kept me interested throughout the entirety of Nurture. There are albums that you can look back on and say that they defined a sound for the next few years, and I think once everything is all said and done, Nurture is gonna be a pretty influential electronic album for this decade.


9/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Nurture is a Mom+Pop release.

Comments

  1. great review!! i totally agree,, i truly do hope that electronic music goes in this direction in the future! also fun fact, porter is actually allergic to grass too but he said it was worth it LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! Oh, really? That’s quite the undertaking lol. Hope you’re doing well, bro!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters