Paul McCartney - McCartney III Imagined ALBUM REVIEW

AUTHOR’S NOTE: Today marks the first anniversary of Cordavision Records. I want to thank every single person that’s read and watched my reviews on YouTube, even if they are now defunct in a way. I couldn’t have gotten to where I am now without you, dear reader, and I’m not going anywhere any time soon. Again, thank you for 365 days of reviews, and cheers to many more. Today’s review is below this blurb here. I love you. 🤍


Alright, let’s get this out of the way. Paul McCartney is a legend. Do I need to tell you why? Either way, ¼ of the legendary Beatles brought back his self-titled series of albums, II being released 1980, with III back in December of last year, and while I was a little late to the party on that, it was a pretty great return to form for McCartney. Then, he decided to release a remixed version of that album. The names here are pretty exciting. Beck, Phoebe Bridgers, Anderson .Paak, St. Vincent, Ed O’Brien from Radiohead, Damon Albarn, Josh Homme, and Blood Orange are just some of the names involved. What legitimately blew me away about III Imagined outside of the clever wordplay was the lead single, the new version of “The Kiss of Venus,” which has vocals from Dominic Fike. I’ve never been the biggest fan of Dominic Fike, but he really blew me away with this new version of McCartney’s track. This was the perfect lead single for a project like this, and set me up for quite possibly one of the best projects of the year so far. Well, did it do that? Let’s find out.

What this project really reminded me of is the last Gorillaz album, Song Machine. A very collaborative effort that takes artists from different genres to do their thing with an artist, but instead of Gorillaz, it’s Macca. It’s a very interesting concept, but I’m disappointed to report that nearly none of the other songs hit the same highs as “The Kiss of Venus.” Phoebe Bridgers’ and St. Vincent’s tracks are okay, but they didn’t just hit as well as I wanted them to. What the biggest disappointment was on III Imagined, though, is Anderson .Paak’s track. One of the most versatile artists working right now is with Paul McCartney on a song, and he didn’t sing. I was so fucking excited when I saw Anderson .Paak and Paul McCartney on the same song, but damn, man. Also, what the hell is the closing track? That was atrocious.

I guess I was disappointed with III Imagined. It had an amazing set up with Dominic Fike’s track, but nothing from it hit that same level of overall excitement. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a decent listen, but anything with Idris Elba doing music automatically becomes a 7 in my book. Either way, just listen to Fike’s version of “The Kiss of Venus.” It’s genuinely one of the best songs to come out in 2021 so far.


6/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




McCartney III Imagined is a Capitol Records release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters