Rod Wave - SoulFly ALBUM REVIEW

“You’re so fucking fly, you belong in the mile-high club” ~ Eminem, 2017.


I think a lot of people found out about Rod Wave right during the pandemic started at around this time last year, just when the pandemic began. His breakout album, Pray 4 Love, ended up debuting at number two on the Billboard 200, seemingly out of nowhere to my knowledge. I listened to that album, and I thought ‘Holy shit, this guy has a lot of potential.’ I could see the appeal, but his songs mostly sounded the same. Maybe his next project would be the one that would be that pushes the envelope. Is SoulFly that project? Let’s find out.

Damn, this project annoyed me. Not that the content of it is bad, I actually think it’s quite good. It’s just that I have the same problem with this as I had with Pray 4 Love: there’s no variation. Nearly every song except for the intro has the exact same sound, even some of them have a similar piano loop. It feels like Rod Wave is searching for ‘rod wave type beats’ on YouTube for all of these beats. This shouldn’t have been 19 tracks by any means, either. I’d probably recommend the first 10 tracks, and you’ve heard everything this album has to offer. The worst part about this is that Rod Wave’s voice is really good. He has a great voice, but it always feels like he’s severely punching underneath his weight here.

I really don’t know what else to say about this project. The potential is here, but I feel like he’s just limiting himself with SoulFly, which really sucks because there’s so much for him waiting. He’s got a massive fan base, and this project is most likely gonna debut at number one, but there really should be better music for such a great voice.


5/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




SoulFly is an Alamo release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters