Young Thug, Gunna & Young Stoner Life - Slime Language 2 ALBUM REVIEW

This label should start making music for Nickelodeon with all the slime.


I always get excited when Young Thug gears up for a new project. Admittedly, he’s not my favorite artist on the planet, but he’s never really disappointed in recent years when it comes to his own projects. He’s been around long enough to be considered a veteran, and he’s certainly got the track record to show that he’s a versatile artist that can slink into any style of rap, trap, and even country rap. His own label, Young Stoner Life, has put out a joint effort before, Slime Language, and that really didn’t do anything for me. With all the hype around its sequel, and along with it being new Young Thug music, I decided to give Slime Language 2 a shot. Let’s get into it. Also, I should note artists that are on the YSL label that appear on this project: Gunna, Dolly White, Yak Gotti, Lil Duke, Lil Keed, T-Shyne, Unfoonk, Karlae, Strick, Yung Kayo, and HiDoraah.

It’s also worth noting that there are other collaborations outside of the YSL label that are some pretty heavy hitters. Drake, Travis Scott, Future, Lil Baby, Lil Uzi Vert, Big Sean, Meek Mill, Coi Leray, Skepta, Rowdy Rebel, and Kid Cudi all have features on this. NAV is there too, but you know how I feel about him. Slime Language 2 is a pretty star-studded affair, but with most trap albums, they tend to be pretty long, and that’s definitely the case with this project here. This thing is 23 tracks and 75 minutes long, and good lord, it didn’t have to be. I understand that it’s a label album and Thugger really wanted every member of his family to shine, but 23 songs is a little bit excessive. Most of the other artists that aren’t Young Thug, Gunna (who actually has a huge role in this project), or the non-label features are just Young Thug clones. Personally, I’d rather hear Young Thug and maybe a decent clone in Gunna than a bunch of crappy clones. That being said, there are some pretty great songs on here. “Ski” with Thugger and Gunna is a surefire hit, “Diamonds Dancing” with the trio of Thugger, Gunna, and Travis Scott is pretty fun, and “Solid” with that same duo but with Drake is the same thing. The track “Proud For You” with Lil Uzi Vert and YTB Trench has been rolling around online for a minute as an Uzi snippet, and I’m glad it has an official release because it’s a huge highlight for me on this project. Outside of the aforementioned tracks, there just wasn’t that much for me. Even the Kid Cudi track didn’t do too much for me, which disappointed me. Also, what the HELL was Future doing on “Superstar?” LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO

As a project, I couldn’t help to be disappointed by Slime Language 2. Most of it just felt like playlist filler to me, but that’s where a wrench is thrown in. As a bunch of singles, this is a pretty good project, especially the first half of the album. Although I had a pretty enjoyable listen of this, I’ll probably just go back to the tracks I like, which is about 5 out of 23. That’s not a good ratio, but I’ll take what I can get. Either way, Slime Language 2 just kind of exists. I’m just waiting on Young Thug’s next solo project, PUNK, now.


5/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Slime Language 2 is a Young Stoner Life release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters