Quadeca - From Me To You ALBUM REVIEW

I've never called anything progressive rap, but I guess this is a new rap subgenre...?


Now that I have that out of the way, this is the first time I’ve ever heard of Quadeca. I know he was big on YouTube for a little bit, but I just never checked his stuff out until now. I saw a lot of my Twitter mutuals buzzing over this album right here, From Me To You, and I decided to check out one of the singles from it, “Sisyphus,” and good lord, that was amazing. The production was off the walls insane, and I liked Quadeca’s voice quite a bit. So, I decided to check the full-length project out this past Wednesday, the day it was released. Here are my chronicles of that album and how I feel about it.

First off, let’s get to what I think is the most important thing about an album: production. Holy SHIT, this is the best-sounding album of 2021 so far. That’s a strong achievement when Madlib drops in the same year. I could actually name quite a few albums that I think were inspired by the sound of this: BROCKHAMPTON’s iridescense, Joji’s Nectar, and Tyler, the Creator’s IGOR. The last two are some of my favorite projects in the past couple of years, so picking up on that influence was quite exciting. I’m not kidding when I say that the production on From Me To You is something very VERY special, and it’ll most likely be a while before I find anything else on top of that. I do think that while Quadeca’s writing is very much on point here, I think the execution needs a little bit more work. His flow reminded me of new Eminem, but that didn’t take away from my overall enjoyment of this project.

I always thought that a YouTube influencer couldn’t really make truly mind-blowing music. From Me To You shatters that perception I had. Yes, I know Joji broke into the mainstream and has one of my favorite albums of the decade so far, but Nectar wasn’t that innovative to me. What Quadeca has done here is something that I haven’t thought of a YouTuber of his stature doing. I can confidently say, without any doubt in my mind, that Quadeca is going places, and it’s all thanks to this thrilling experience of an album.


9/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




From Me To You is self-released.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters