ECCO2K - PXE EP REVIEW

Yes, I know this review is short. I've been busy.


I’m gonna be totally honest, I don’t really have an intro for this review. I just listened to this on a whim simply because the album art looked cool. ECCO2K is an artist in the Drain Gang collective, who I’ve only heard from ECCO2K’s debut project, E, but I’m aware that they have a bit of a cult following. So, I simply decided to give it a listen a few weeks after it dropped. No one was really talking about it, so that’s why I decided to cover PXE. Let’s just get into it.

Based on what I’ve heard from E, I feel like he’s forging his own sound and diverting from the sound of his DG cohorts. The sound of PXE is just a lot lusher than his stripped-back debut album. Based on influences, I feel like I’m getting some Kevin Abstract or Jean Dawson vibes, and I think it fits his vision very well. This is an EP, though, being only five tracks and 10 minutes long. The songs themselves are just okay to me, but it just feels way too short to just sit there and go ‘Oh, cool. What a memorable experience.’ I dig the change in sound, but it just doesn’t do too much for me.

While PXE is a pretty cool EP, ECCO2K just doesn’t do enough for me as an artist to go back to it. I do prefer the stripped-back nature of E to PXE, but if you’re a Drain Gang fan, this is definitely worth some time.


6/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




PXE is a YEAR0001 release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters