Lil Yachty - Michigan Boy Boat ALBUM REVIEW

40-minute trap albums should be a blessing.


Lil Yachty has been needing something. When he first blew up, he was this breath of fresh air in the Soundcloud subset of rap, but ever since then, he’s been slowly going downhill. I’ve pretty much lost interest in Yachty as an artist, especially after the whole ‘blow it like a cello’ debacle, and when I saw that this album kind of dropped out of the blue, I was pretty intrigued. There’s a concept to this album, but not really a story: Yachty is teaming with a bunch of up-and-coming Detroit/Flint rappers and riding on their sound to bring more of an audience to it. Even if the quality of his music has taken a dip, Yachty is still a name that can bring attention to other artists, so I think this could be a fun little detour or even the next stage of Yachty’s career, but does Michigan Boy Boat deliver? That’s what matters here, so let’s just see what went down on this project.

Now, I’ve heard some of these Michigan artists pop up on my Twitter feed before, but I don’t exactly know them as artists. They all tend to have the same sound, and on this project, Yachty basically gets on these songs and does his thing, and I have a simple review: Sometimes, it works, but it sometimes doesn’t. I’m glad that this isn’t some massive hour-long album, but with that, it seems like there’s a generalization of the Detroit/Flint sound that’s dumbed down for more of an audience. Yachty is basically going ‘Hey, these guys and this sound is cool. I’m gonna do it with them to try and give them more attention while proving I can still give a good performance.’

Well, I guess there’s not much else to say about this. While it isn’t great, Michigan Boat Boy is a decent attempt at a new sound that works more than it doesn’t. It still hasn’t convinced me that Lil Yachty is a name to keep an eye on, though. It’s certainly an improvement over his past couple of projects, but I just need more of something that will make him stand out again.


6/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Michigan Boy Boat is a Quality Control release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters