Demi Lovato - Dancing With the Devil...The Art of Starting Over ALBUM REVIEW

You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?


I’m gonna be totally honest with you on this project. I had no clue this was even dropping until a couple weeks ago. I don’t know when this was announced, and honestly, I’m glad I found out about it later rather than sooner. I’ve been pretty critical of Demi Lovato’s music in the past, but I’ve never thought of her music to be completely bad, you know? I heard a couple singles from this, and it got me intrigued, so I decided to sit down and listen to it, as one does for an album review. Also, since the title of this album, Dancing With the Devil...The Art of Starting Over, is so LONG, I’ll just be shortening it to Dancing With the Devil... for the review.

If I’m being totally honest, I don’t have that much to say about this project, for how long this is. For the darkest times of Lovato’s life, it’s pretty nice that she’s looking back on them and showing that she’s pretty optimistic about her future. I do enjoy the content and aspects of where Lovato is coming from. I even enjoy some of the writing that appears on this album, but there’s a lot wrong with this to me. First, this is WAY too long. Half of this could be cut down and it could be a much enjoyable listen. Honestly, nothing really blows me away on this project. While I do feel that this is a Demi Lovato album, this just feels so anonymous. At the beginning, or in at least the first three tracks, it feels so emotional and serious. You can tell that this is Lovato talking about her past, and it works. The rest of the tracks just don’t hit that same high.

I personally feel that Dancing With the Devil... is one of Demi Lovato’s best body of work yet, along with some of her best vocal performances yet. Yet with most bloated albums, this just becomes an absolute slog to listen to. It’s far too long, and the good stuff is severely cancelled out by the bad stuff on here. If you’re a fan of this and of Demi Lovato as a celebrity and a person, watch the YouTube documentary. It’s actually quite good. The music, though, leaves a lot to be desired.


5/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Dancing With the Devil...The Art of Starting Over is an Island release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters