Lil Brick - The Intro EP REVIEW

Everyone loves Twitter, right? No? Well, it has its fair share of good and bad things. Most of the time, discovering new music falls under the good category. Last week, I was seeing the name Lil Brick put up with new releases from Benny the Butcher and Black Thought. From there, an explosion of hype for this little project that seemed like another rapper throwing his hat into the ring. Yes, I’d usually dismiss something like this, but the amount of hype that was surrounding this project was something I’ve never seen in a while. Well, this is his newest EP, The Intro. Let’s get into this little bite-sized project.

The Intro is a hip-hop EP. I mean, it’s a straight up rap project. Nothing wrong with that at all. The first influence I can hear out of the gate is artists like Logic or even Joyner Lucas. I hate the term ‘lyrical miracle,’ but that’s a pretty accurate description of Brick’s delivery. It’s fast-paced nearly throughout the entire project, and it’s quite impressive for someone so early in his career. Out of this bunch, I’d have to say that “Studio 22” with Dre the Monarch is my favorite track here. I absolutely adore the subdued production, while Brick and Dre have amazing chemistry. I’m hoping for more work with the two of them together, maybe even a whole project together! Another highlight here is “Be Here” with Trashi Jaci, an amazing up-and-coming singer from Australia that you should check out! I’m a sucker for a good soul sample, and damn, this really scratches that itch.

Overall, The Intro should be Lil Brick’s breakout project. This is a concise and watertight EP with hit after hit. While the track “All Black” doesn’t stick with me only because of personal preference, there is so much potential in Brick, it’s almost maddening that a label hasn’t picked him up yet. Honestly, there are little to no changes I would suggest to make this better. This is a pretty stellar showcase, and just keep going, man. It’ll all pay off soon. To me, it already has.


8/10


Stream The Intro here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters