Dave - We’re All Alone In This Together ALBUM REVIEW

This is officially my 300th review. This is a massive milestone for me, so thank you for everything so far. 🤍


Throughout the past few months, I’ve been getting into UK hip-hop lately. I’ve found a lot of artists in this space through Twitter, and outside of names like Stormzy, Lancey Fouxx, my personal favorite Skepta, and the rapper we’re gonna be talking about here, Dave. His debut album, Psychodrama, is highly praised as one of the best hip-hop albums in recent years, and while I personally don’t think that, I totally understand why. The concept of that album being a year-long therapy session is a tough topic to tackle, but Dave certainly has one of the better albums in that vein across all genres. When his newest album, We’re All Alone In This Together, was announced, I was pretty excited to see what he could do next. I ended up avoiding all the singles from this, and that’s always pretty exciting to me. With features from Stormzy, Giggs, Ghetts, Meekz Manny, Wizkid, BOJ, Snoh Aalegra, and James Blake, this seems set up to be one of the highlights of the UK hip-hop scene this year. Let’s get right into it.

I actually didn’t mention one of the more prominent voices on this album, and that’s Oscar-winning actor Daniel Kaluuya. He has two spoken word outros on “Three Rivers” and the closing track “Survivors Guilt,” and they’re both pretty powerful pieces about listening to yourself; there’s a great section about the phrase ‘going against the tide’ and it’s interpreted in a way I haven’t thought about. When I first listened to Psychodrama, I noticed something about it that I think is still prevalent here. It’s like Dave is trying to make a movie, with British director Nathan Tettey also having a spoken-word piece here. Legendary German composer Hans Zimmer even had input in this album, inspiring the name of it. I feel like this album is for the immigrants of London, and even if I can’t relate to it, this does feel like something special. Knowing who Dave is really changed my perspective of Psychodrama, along with this project here.

I guess I’ve finally seen the light. We’re All Alone In This Together is something to behold. Even if the sound and production aren’t the most varied, there’s a level of detail in his writing that isn’t matched by his contemporaries right now. It displays something that hasn’t been matched this year so far, and maybe won’t be reached this year. Dave pointed the camera at the right places, and his script is incredible. There’s a reason why this is the most acclaimed album of 2021 so far, at the time of this writing.


10/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




We’re All Alone In This Together is a Neighbourhood release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters