Willow - lately i feel EVERYTHING ALBUM REVIEW

If this is the 2000s pop-punk revival, I’m down for it.


If you don’t know who Willow is, I mean, come on. Willow Smith is the daughter of Will Smith and brother of Jaden Smith. Granted, it’s been a hot minute since I’ve kept up with her music. I know she has a self-titled album from a few years back, but I haven’t heard it. Why? Because this would apparently have a completely different sound here: The pop-punk sound of the 2000s that was (personally) perfected by Avril Lavigne. Switching from conscious R&B to this seems pretty risky, but Willow seems like she’s confident in this. lately i feel EVERYTHING is Willow’s second album and features contributions from blink-182’s Travis Barker, Ayla Tesler-Mabe, Tierra Whack, Cherry Glazerr, and the aforementioned Avril Lavigne. Is this album a successful revival at a long-dormant sound? Let’s find out.

So, let’s just answer the question I posed above right now. I think it’s almost there. It’s not that long of an album, only 26 minutes, so it’s a bit of a short and bittersweet package. I’d say here that the weakest part here is the production, but that may very well be intentional. It feels very thrown together and now that I think about it, it was definitely intentional. Willow’s songwriting isn’t the strongest I’ve heard this year, but it’s not the worst I’ve heard either. The features on here do their jobs, especially Lavigne’s contributions and Tierra Whack’s verse. They both give so much to the songs they’re on and bring the songs to new heights.

There’s potential here for something truly great. Willow is onto something with lately i feel EVERYTHING. The 2000s pop-punk sound was bound to come back at some point because that’s the cycle of nostalgia, but I never thought it’d be Will Smith’s daughter who made “Whip My Hair” to be the one to bring it back. With some work, I think Willow could make a genuinely great album with this sound, but the potential is here.


7/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




lately i feel EVERYTHING is a Roc Nation release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters