Tkay Maidza - Last Year Was Weird, Vol. 3 EP REVIEW

This art reminds me so much of Halo and I love it so much.


Alright, I don’t have that much of an intro for this one. Tkay Maidza happens to be one of my favorite up-and-coming artists, and the past two entries in the Last Year Was Weird trilogy are honestly pretty great. I’ve heard some loose singles that she’s dropped, and they were pretty good, but I was patiently waiting for the final installment in her beloved series. Now, since Last Year Was Weird, Vol. 3 is here, let’s get into it and see if it has worked.

I do think the sound of this EP fits the summer sound, with the industrial sounds of the other EPs in the series being replaced by a more breezy pop/R&B sound that’s similar to Tyler, the Creator post-Cherry Bomb stuff. And like some of Tyler’s work, Maidza’s work on this project is somewhat experimental but smooth as well. It’s the complete opposite of her past projects, and it’s pretty refreshing. Every single song on here stands on their own, especially the track “High Beams.” Seriously, did she lace crack into this song? It’s insane.

It’s pretty short, I know, but I’m pretty speechless with Last Year Was Weird, Vol. 3. Tkay Maidza has raised the bar yet again and taken down every expectation I’ve had. If this was an entire album, this would probably be in my top 10 for the year so far. It’s pretty impressive to combine pop, rap, and R&B in general, but to do it well is another story. Maidza has made it addictive to listen to, and I’ll most likely be playing this for the rest of the year.


9/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Last Year Was Weird, Vol. 3 is a 4AD release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters