Ransom & Big Ghost Ltd. - Heavy is the Head ALBUM REVIEW

Is this Game of Thrones?


Ransom is a rapper I’m upset I haven’t found out about earlier. I first heard about him back in February from his feature on Conway the Machine and Big Ghost Ltd.’s IF IT BLEEDS, IT CAN BE KILLED, and while that album happens to be one of my favorites from the year so far, Ransom’s feature appears on the best song off that album. Earlier this year, he dropped the 7 EP, based on the seven deadly sins. It was a great project that sadly flew under my radar, but I’m not letting this slip by. Heavy is the Head, produced entirely by the aforementioned Big Ghost Ltd., is his third album and ever since his “Kill All Rats” feature, I’ve been excited for something new from him and Big Ghost. Let’s get into it.

Honestly, the one thing I’d say about it is that Ransom’s writing is just as sharp as ever. One of my favorite tracks here is the heartbreaking “Tyranny,” which is about how cold-blooded people can be. It’s pretty haunting and is a highlight for hip-hop this year so far. My favorite feature here goes to Vinnie Paz on “Off With His Head.” His feature actually made me realize how much I’ve slept on him and I’m probably gonna dive into his work throughout the week. Another big part of this album is the production. Big Ghost has produced one of my favorite albums this year, and while some people will most likely prefer this, I do think his production was better on his past albums. It’s not to say that it’s bad because it’s fantastic here, but I just prefer his beats from earlier this year.

When it comes to being a Ransom album, Heavy is the Head is the best album that I’ve heard from him. He’s dark and brooding, and a good alternate title would’ve been Lord Ransom or something like that. As a Big Ghost album, though, I do think some aspects could’ve improved. Together, though, Ransom and Big Ghost make for a killer duo that I hope work together more in the future.


8/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Heavy is the Head is a Momentum Entertainment release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters