Left at London - t.i.a.p.f.y.h. ALBUM REVIEW

I’ve tried to find out what ‘Left at London’ means, and if you see this Ms. Puff, please let me know. I’m very curious.


When I sit down and write album reviews, I try to find out about the artist I’m covering if it’s the first time I’m writing about them on here or if this is the first time I’m hearing an artist’s work. Left at London, or Nat Puff as I’ll refer to her as in the review, was an interesting artist to find out about. A friend of mine recommended this album, t.i.a.p.f.y.h., to me and when I went to do the research for this review, I was actually pretty blown away by some similarities we have, even if they aren’t in terms of friendship. We both deal with ADHD, autism spectrum disorder, and PTSD. I always try to champion people that deal with ADHD and ASD that have a wider audience, and it always excites me when someone on the autism spectrum has that audience. Because of this, I was incredibly excited to write about t.i.a.p.f.y.h., which stands for ‘there is a place for you here' and also happens to be Puff’s debut. Let’s not waste any more time and get into it.

So, this album was created in a two-month artist residency, and honestly, it kinda shows. The production is a little rough around the edges, and for some, that can be a very good thing or a bad thing. I personally think it works here, intentional or not. What really shines here is Puff’s writing. Most of these songs deal with the struggles of mental health across the board, whether it’s about her own or the mental health of others. For the latter part of that last sentence, “The Ballad of Marion Zioncheck” is a high watermark of the project. If you don’t know, Marion Zioncheck was a Congressman from the 1930s who committed suicide, most likely as a result of mental illness when the U.S. government really couldn’t handle it at that time. It’s a very fascinating story, and part of me really wishes that Puff went into this more, but I think what’s here is really REALLY good. It feels very personal, and her lyrics have a bigger impact because of her great voice too.

Well, Nat Puff really shows some potential here. t.i.a.p.f.y.h. is a fun little collection of indie-pop songs that happen to be pretty visceral glimpses into the mind of someone with ADHD, ASD, PTSD, and borderline personality disorder without glorifying any of it. That’s pretty tough to come by, and Puff pulls it off disturbingly well. This is the album that will put Left at London on the map, and hopefully her next album, reportedly titled You Are Not Alone Enough, will be just as great and better.


9/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




t.i.a.p.f.y.h. is self-released.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters