Deante' Hitchcock - BETTER ALBUM REVIEW

I’m feeling awful about how I’m just now writing about this. Back in May, an upcoming rapper named Deante’ Hitchcock released his debut studio album, BETTER, to critical and fan praise. I had listened to it about a month after it, and it sadly fell through the list of things that I wanted to review. I’ve been recommended his music before, and I had first heard him on the track “PTSD” from the Dreamville collective project Revenge of the Dreamers III. No wonder he was on RotD3 because he sounds like a young J. Cole, nearly to a T. Well, why am I reviewing it in October now? Hitchcock just dropped the deluxe version of BETTER earlier this week, and I decided to not put it off anymore and finally write about this record. Short intro, but let’s get right into the deluxe version of Deante’ Hitchcock’s BETTER.

BETTER is a hip-hop album with some soul and trap influences. Before I get to Deante’, I got to talk about his features. All of them are properly placed and fit the vibe of each song. J.I.D. on “I Got Money Now” is awesome and 6lack on “How TF” is smooth as hell. Other heavy-hitters like Miguel among rising stars like Kenny Mason, Guapdad 4000, and Young Nudy give their all on this project, which also helps out Hitchcock’s performance. Throughout the entirety of BETTER, his flow is aggressive and slow, and while this may not sound great on writing, it’s so much better to hear him at work. Tracks like “Growing Up/Mother God” and “Angels” show off his storytelling side, and “Attitude” and the aforementioned “I Got Money Now” proves that he can make a banger. The sound that Deante’ Hitchcock has is similar to a lot of up-and-coming artists that want to break the mold. It’s not that experimental, but it’s a pretty good crowd pleaser. The only track that I’d say is downright ‘bad’ is “Gimme Yo Money,” which was only annoying at best to me. I think other people would like the goofy tone of the track, but it just wasn’t for me.

There’s a lot of potential for Deante’ Hitchcock’s career, and BETTER has just proven that. He has the good production, the witty writing, and the backing of some of the most talented producers and artists right now. What I’d like to see in the future is a little more unique production so that Hitchcock can create his own sound and be great or maybe even better at that!


7/10


Stream BETTER here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters