Dorian Electra - My Agenda ALBUM REVIEW

Thank 100 gecs for introducing me to Dorian Electra. For those that don’t know, Dorian Electra is, to me, one of the innovators of the relatively new genre of hyperpop. It’s one of the more zany types of music, but there’s also a deep amount of creativity that I’ve been appreciating a lot more. 100 gecs introduced me to this sound, and artists like Charli XCX and Kero Kero Bonito have also taken their careers into this direction. I’d also like to mention that Dorian Electra is one of the first artists that have taken this sound into the stratosphere. They aren’t worried to get weird and experimental in an already weird and experimental genre. Their debut album Flamboyant is pretty great, while I haven’t covered it here just yet. This is their second album, My Agenda. The biggest features here are pretty eclectic as well. Russian rap trio Pussy Riot and LGBT icons The Village People (yes, the Village people that made “Y.M.C.A.”) are on the SAME SONG, Rebecca Black (IT’S FRIDAY) is slowly becoming hyperpop’s Harley Quinn, and Sega Bodega being at the same stage of Electra’s career makes an interesting choice. Of course, there are other producers that come from the hyperpop scene that makes an appearance here. Well, I’m not gonna let you read this long paragraph again. Let’s just get right into My Agenda.

My Agenda is a hyperpop album with electronic, pop, and dubstep influences. Okay, if you’re going into this expecting a concept, throw those expectations right out the window. This thing is FUCKING WEIRD. I do tend to swear often, but when I’m writing, I usually refrain from it, but wow. The songs are loud and in your face, with lyrics about being about sexual identity and also blatant sex. This is also a very kinky album. The closing track “Give Great Thanks” is a funny and extremely raunchy cut that is best summed up as a ‘love ballad.’ I don’t think I can talk about this song to an extent because I don’t wanna get blacklisted by Google, so I’ll leave it at that. “Gentleman” is a very funky pop track with a very addictive saxophone part. I’ll be very surprised if this isn’t a Tik Tok hit or something. The title track is the song with the Village People and Pussy Riot, and this is probably the best song off the whole album for all the right reasons. The Alex Jones ‘turning the frogs gay’ reference honestly made me laugh out loud. The production all over the place. It’s like a kid with ADHD, the kid keeps popping up and just keeps talking and talking. That sounds like the production as well, hopping from place to place.

As I said, My Agenda is a very strange and sexual album. Dorian Electra really has something going here with this eclectic and loud sound palette, and honesty, I kinda dig it. There are a couple songs that just don’t land with me, but overall, it’s a fun half an hour. If you wanna have fun (or get fucked), go give My Agenda a shot.


7/10


Stream My Agenda here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters