Luca Yupanqui - Sounds of the Unborn ALBUM REVIEW

An unborn child dropped before Frank Ocean. Let that sink in.


If I hadn’t heard about this on Twitter, I would’ve never searched for this. This is gonna be a shorter review mainly because the concept of the album is much more interesting than the album itself. When this album was recorded, Luca Yupanqui wasn’t born yet. Her parents, Elizabeth Hart and Iván Diaz Mathé, had decided to make up a massive experiment. They recorded Luca’s in utero movements were translated to sound using biosonic MIDI technology. The result of five one-hour sessions is Sounds of the Unborn, an ambient album that is unlike anything I’ve heard. Is that a good thing or a bad thing, though? We’re about to find out.

Dude, this baby is talented. Imagine what she can do once she’s fully grown. I’m just messing with you, but really, this is some harrowing stuff. Like, this is a DARK album. There are some legitimately disturbing sounds on here that I don’t ever wanna sit through again, but kind of in a good way? I also liked that there was a constant ‘kick’ throughout the album, almost like a heartbeat that makes it feel less maternal and more interstellar. This album reminds me of Grimes’ early works like Geidi Primes or maybe Visions to an extent, but it’s not really that memorable. Along with that, what is this album trying to say? That fetuses are really alive? If you know me and you follow me on Twitter, you know how I feel about the social aspects of the 'pro-choice vs. pro-life' debate, so I’ll just leave it at that.

Honestly, the concept behind Sounds of the Unborn is pretty unique. It’s a very minimal yet somewhat perplexing ambient album, but outside of the concept, the music just isn’t there for me. It’s pretty much a nice concept, something cool to bring up during a conversation, but that’s the only thing that’s memorable about this album.


5/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Sounds of the Unborn is a Sacred Bones release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters