Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END! ALBUM REVIEW

Don’t laugh at pee. Don’t laugh at pee. Don’t laugh at pee.


This is new territory for me. I’ve never reviewed a post-rock album before, let alone a field recording album. I have listened to them before, though, and most of them have just come and gone for me. Not this band, though. Godspeed You! Black Emperor has been a band that have consistently put out some of the most harrowing music I’ve heard in my life since the late 90s, with some of their early works being some of the most beloved post-rock albums ever. After a four-year break, we have G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END!, another addition to arguably one of the best discographies in all of music. Let’s not waste any more time on the intro and get into the music.

Even though it clocks in at 53 minutes, this feels like an absolute epic. I liken it to the hellish year of 2020. It starts out hopeful with “Military Alphabet” and slowly becomes more defeated when it hits “Fire at Static Valley,” almost like the start of the coronavirus pandemic and all the confusion within the first few months of it. My personal favorite track off of the album, “GOVERNMENT CAME,” which is just so chaotic. It’s the best representation of 2020 as a whole. This next part is gonna sound a little corny, but I think this would fit. The final track on here “OUR SIDE HAS TO WIN” is a bit of a reflection on the rest of the album, looking back and seeing that while we made it through this horrible part, it’s not over yet. This is a lot of positive stuff about this album, but what stops this from perfection? It’s quite simply that I can’t do back to this casually. I typically don’t listen to post-rock like this often, but I can always appreciate the artistry behind it.


I really REALLY loved this album, but instead of a summary paragraph, I’m gonna post a message that the band sent out when G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END! was announced that really hit me hard.


“this record is about all of us waiting for the end.

all current forms of governance are failed.

this record is about all of us waiting for the beginning,

and is informed by the following demands=

empty the prisons

take power from the police and give it to the neighbourhoods that they terrorise.

end the forever wars and all other forms of imperialism.

tax the rich until they're impoverished.

much love to all the other lost and lovely ones,

these are death-times and our side has to win.

we'll see you on the road once the numbers fall.”



9/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




G_d's Pee AT STATE'S END! is a Constellation release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters