Weyes Blood - And in the Darkness, Hearts Aglow ALBUM REVIEW

Honestly, if you’re heart is quite literally glowing, you might have to see a doctor.


Okay, hi. It’s been a hot minute. I’m gonna be more consistent with the reviews and do a little catch-up with some other albums I’ve heard, but this is one I’ve sat on for a while. Weyes Blood has been an artist that I’ve fallen in love with. I know I’m not the only one thinking that her last album, 2019’s Titanic Rising, is probably a contender for the best indie rock album of the 2010s. I think it’s a landmark album that set the bar for indie rock/singer-songwriter albums for this decade. Now, we have something that could match the quality of that: Weyes Blood’s next album. And in the Darkness, Hearts Aglow dropped last month, and I’ve had a good amount of time to sit on it. Let’s get into how I felt about it.

The reason why I’ve had to take some time with this project is because I’ve had a hard time putting to words just how nice this is to listen to. This has a nostalgic, old school feeling that would’ve been in good company with Leonard Cohen or Nick Drake. It’s also pretty tough to not compare it to Titanic Rising, mainly because they’re pretty similar in sound. The light, airy, chamber music that hit hard on Titanic Rising doesn’t hit as hard as it does on And in the Darkness…, but it’s still absolutely beautiful to listen to. One improvement I think is here, though, is the vocals. While they’re still great on Titanic Rising, they're even better here. Combined with the lyrics, there’s this devastating feeling that I can relate to is Black Country, New Road’s vocalist, Isaac Wood.

If I’m being honest, that’s really all I got for this. And in the Darkness, Hearts Aglow is yet another beautiful project from Weyes Blood. Since this is apparently the second album in a trilogy, I can only hope that the third album is just as good as these other two albums.


9/10


Listen here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube




And in the Darkness, Hearts Aglow is a Sub Pop release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters