JPEGMAFIA - All My Heroes Are Cornballs ALBUM REVIEW

Barrington Hendricks, a.k.a. JPEGMAFIA, is one of the most unique voices and artists on the planet right now. His breakthrough projects, Black Ben Carson and Veteran, have been some of my favorite records last decade, and when it came to out-there, experimental music, Peggy over here is where it’s at. His career (so far, at least) came to a peak with his newest album, All My Heroes Are Cornballs. The glitch-hop tones that are throughout all of Peggy’s projects are here more than ever on All My Heroes Are Cornballs. Let’s get into what really makes this so ‘experimental.’

All My Heroes Are Cornballs is, you guessed it, an experimental hip-hop record. It could also be known as punk rap or even an avant-garde record. If you’re a Peggy fan, you’ve come to know the WWE-sampling “You think you know me” tags across his records. Its shoddy presentation has always been relevant throughout his records, but this feels different. It’s more complete and put together than his past projects, but it still feels like it was sewn together with some open parts. Many strange title tracks like “JPEGMAFIA TYPE BEAT” and “Lifes Hard, Here’s a Song About Sorrel” are abound in this record, and this experimental, sewn-together style fits Peggy’s persona perfectly.

The one thing I could say that is a ‘bad’ thing about the All My Heroes Are Cornballs is that the experimental and glitchy style that so many people love is an acquired taste. If you like it, you’re gonna love this album. If not, you’re gonna hate this and also be confused by it. The production is so off the walls and eccentric that it really can’t be ignored. Peggy’s wordplay is also very underrated and deserves just as much recognition as the production.

Like the rest of JPEGMAFIA’s catalog, All My Heroes Are Cornballs is a very unique album. Its off-center and quirky sound is a double-edge sword. It can be what makes an album great, or something that makes it unlistenable. For me, it made me love it. Even after All My Heroes Are Cornballs, I still think JPEGMAFIA has at least 2 or 3 more great records in him. He’s just getting started.


7/10



Stream All My Heroes Are Cornballs here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music




My mans out here looking fine as hell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters