Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising ALBUM REVIEW

What is the definition of beauty?


That’s an odd question to start off an album review, but nonetheless, it’s a crazy question. Google officially defines beauty as “a combination of qualities, such as shape, color, or form, that pleases the aesthetic senses, especially the sight.” Now, we’re talking about music here. While there are visuals to most music, some don’t have visuals or music videos, so we take a look at the art of the album cover. Weyes Blood’s 2019 album Titanic Rising is the definition of beauty, visually and audibly. Yet, I haven’t seen any of the music videos that accompany the songs. Why is it beautiful? Why am I associating the word ‘beauty’ with this piece of music? Let me tell you.

Whenever I try to get a visual of an album, I look at the album’s cover. It can dictate how I feel about an album. A good cover can help good or bad music, a bad cover could dampen the effect of good music, and a bad cover could even bolster the idea of that music being bad. When I look at Titanic Rising’s cover, I feel submerged, and when the opening track “A Lot’s Gonna Change” starts to play, I feel like I’m coming up for air. That’s what this album feels like. I could go on and on about how Natalie Mering’s gorgeous vocals are and that the instrumentation on this album is some of the most exquisite pieces of art I’ve heard in a long time, but I’m going to leave you with this.

Just listen to Titanic Rising. This album is proof that we are living in a golden age of music. I’m incredibly lucky to be alive right now, not just for being alive, but seeing all of this art come out from the medium known as music. Nothing has come close to Titanic Rising in terms of vocals, instrumentation, writing, anything since its release on April 5, 2019. It’d take something really special for this to be topped in my mind any time soon.


10/10


Listen here

YouTube Music



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters