Daft Punk - Random Access Memories ALBUM REVIEW

R.I.P. Daft Punk. You will live on forever.


No, they didn’t die. It just feels like they did. The duo known as Daft Punk, consisting of Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo and Thomas Bangalter, officially retired their robot personas earlier this week, and this one hit a lot harder than I thought it would. I figured it would be fitting to talk about one of their albums this week because of this, but there was so much to choose from. Discovery, Homework, Human After All, the Tron: Legacy score… There was so much that’s iconic in their discography, but I feel like there’s one project that I feel like I can talk about in full, mainly because I lived through it. This is Daft Punk’s final outing, Random Access Memories.

This feels like Daft Punk’s most human record. Ironically, this should’ve been called Human After All. The disco-influenced tones of their past projects are gone, and they’re replaced by mainly a rock-and-roll vibe. It was strange at the time, but it’s all I can remember about them now. Hear me out on this one, but I don’t have a lot to say about this portion of this review. Musically, this is fan-fucking-tastic. From a sound standpoint, this is one of the best-sounding albums of all time. That’s really all I can say about the music itself, mainly because this is a very personal album to me.

Aside from some greatest hits compilations (mainly from Bruce Springsteen and Michael Jackson), Random Access Memories was the first album I sat down and listened to all the way through. In 2013, back when all I heard music from was the radio, “Get Lucky” was all over the place. I had never heard anything like it. Even hearing Pharrell sing was new for me, even though I already knew who he was. Then, those FUCKING ROBOTS. When those voices came in, I was even more entranced by the song than I already was. 11-year-old Ryan was losing his mind. “ROBOTS CAN SING WELL?!” I had to hear more of this. Once I sat down and listened to Random Access Memories, I fell absolutely in love with it, and that love hasn’t gone away by any means. This is one of my favorites ever, and I cannot thank these two robots enough for it. Oh, and they deserved the Grammy.


10/10


Listen here

YouTube Music



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters