King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Just when I think I’m out, I’m pulled back in.


Okay, hi again. I’m not saying I’m back for good, but I just hit a stride, and I’m not gonna lie, I miss writing for the fun of it. Anyway, I’ve talked about this band on the site before. I might just have to make a tag to link all their albums together. King Gizzard went on a damn-near-perfect streak of three separate projects last October, and knowing that whatever they did next was a spiritual successor to 2019 fan favorite Infest the Rats' Nest, it’d certainly be up my alley. Now, we have PetroDragonic Apocalypse, which I will just shorten it to that because of the long-ass album title you can see at the top. It’s a mouthful, I know. Either way, let’s get into it.

PetroDragonic Apocalypse sees the group move into a genre they’ve dabbled in before: metal. Throwing in dashes of thrash, speed, and even stoner metal helps make the Aussie band’s most chaotic, in-your-face, and probably entertaining project as a whole yet. Environmental themes have appeared in King Gizz’s other projects, but I think it’s present the most here, along with it being their bleakest album yet. Why I think it’s so bleak is because the lyrics, mainly pulling from mythology to fuse to their writing style, blurring the lines between fantasy and reality. The actual sound of the music itself is pure bliss. The different vocalists throughout the album all have that gruff, almost ritualistic tone without blending in with each other.

Yeah, PetroDragonic Apocalypse is yet another fantastic project from King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard. It’s just some damn good metal. What else is there to say?


10/10
Favorite Tracks: Dragon, Motor Spirit, Gila Monster



Listen here

Spotify

Apple Music

Bandcamp (to support the artist directly)




PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation is a KGLW release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters