DaBaby - Blame it on Baby ALBUM REVIEW

DaBaby, the Cleveland-born and Charlotte-raised rapper, has been riding a wave of success since 2019. He broke out onto the scene with “SUGE,” the platinum-selling lead single from his debut breakout Baby on Baby. From there, he’s only grown in popularity because of showing off his trademark flow on songs with Post Malone, Camila Cabello, and Chance the Rapper. Now, only 8 months after his second, and in my opinion his best, album KIRK, he’s once again back on BLAME IT ON BABY. But does his third studio effort live up to the expectations that DaBaby’s fans expect from him? It’s a bit of a mixed bag.


If you’re looking for trap bangers, Blame it on Baby certainly has that. “JUMP” is a standout track that proves why DaBaby’s fanbase is so strong, and Youngboy NBA’s delightfully bouncy opening is the icing on the cake. Future and JetsonMade DaBaby continues Roddy Ricch’s hot streak on “ROCKSTAR,” a mellow-sounding but still somehow hard-hitting track that shows off Ricch’s growing potential for more than being a one-hit-wonder. DaBaby still owns the track, and that’s one of Blame it on Baby’s strengths: With this many high profile features, DaBaby is proving that he’s still the star of his own show.


But I’m afraid that the good comes with the bad. “PICK UP” has some of the blandest production on the whole project, and Quavo doesn’t add anything to it. “LIGHTSKIN SHIT” has the same problem, with Future’s verse sounding phoned in and JetsonMade’s production just being middle of the road. I can give “SAD SHIT” an A for effort for its production and the change of pace for DaBaby’s usual sound, but I personally don’t think it clicks for me.


Overall, BLAME IT ON BABY is more of the same from DaBaby’s signature sound, but with a few detours and flow switches to make things sound fresh. I’d like to see him expand his sound a little more, but there’s nothing wrong with what he’s doing now. If he keeps putting out album after album like he is now and does the same thing over again, he’ll be losing my attention.


6/10



Stream BLAME IT ON BABY here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music




Thanks for reading! Since this is the first post, might as well give you an introduction:

Hey, I'm Ryan. If you can tell, I like music. I'm not gonna be as detailed as critics like Anthony Fantano or Shawn Cee, but I'm still going to be honest about what I review. I'll be taking requests on what I review on social media, and since I already have a couple requests, I'll get into what genres I'll be reviewing: anything. I'll try my best to be unbiased with my reviews, and I won't get into any big-brain music lingo so it can be a somewhat easy read for all. Well, that's it! I hope you enjoy my content!

If you want, you can contact me on what you want me to review next! If you have a hot take that you wanna tell me, I can't stop you from freedom of speech!

Instagram/Twitter: @cordavision
Snapchat: @ryancordaro19

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters