Eminem - Music To Be Murdered By ALBUM REVIEW

You already know who Eminem is. Slim Shady, Marshall Mathers, he’s an icon. Although, I did think he had a rough 2010s. Relapse and Recovery weren’t my favorites, but The Marshall Mathers LP 2 was a nice surprise. Don’t get me started on the Revival/Kamikazee era, God. No one has ever doubted the legacy and influence he’s had on the music scene, but I find him to be very overrated by some people. He isn’t the greatest of all time, but I think that he’s definitely up there. He’s put out songs like “Stan” and “Not Afraid,” but then again, he’s put out songs like “Fack” and the entirety of Revival. After whining to his critics on Kamikazee, he’s officially back to his old ways on the Hitchcock-inspired Music To Be Murdered By. Let’s get into it.

Music To Be Murdered By is a hip-hop record, and has a heavy horrorcore influence. There’s nothing wrong with horrorcore (horror-inspired rap), but I’m not a giant fan of it. Eminem is kind of back to his ways from the very pop-feature heavy Revival, but some of that is still here. “Those Kind of Nights” has Ed Sheeran doing the hook, and while it’s a fun song and shows off Em’s flow, it’s a little generic and run of the mill, and “Leaving Heaven” is a pretty boring track with yet another Skylar Grey feature, and I think I almost fell asleep during it. That’s pretty much it for the pop stuff, and most of the features are honestly pretty great, some of them even outshining Em himself. Young M.A and Anderson .Paak both impressed me on their respective features, and it was pretty great hearing the late Juice WRLD on “Godzilla,” which is a contender for the best track on the album. I also can’t leave out the Alchemist-produced “Stepdad,” which proves that Eminem is still one of the best storytellers in rap, even if it does get a little corny sometimes. Tied for the best track here with “Godzilla” is “Darkness,” which I was very surprised that this didn’t get a lot of publicity. There are also some great posse cuts on here too like “Yah Yah” and “I Will,” which are big highlights. Like most albums, though, there are some negatives here. Music To Be Murdered By felt a lot longer than it needed to be. It did need some trimming on the tracklist. The production was a little generic, but at least it’s better than Revival and Kamikazee. I just think that he could have put out the better songs on an EP or something.

Eminem has been being laughed at on social media because of this record, and quite frankly, I don’t understand that. Music To Be Murdered By is Eminem’s best record in at least a decade, but that isn’t even by a wide margin. I have to admit, this album did grow on me when time passed, but this isn’t a total dumpster fire. It isn’t a masterpiece either, but who knows these days? I’m hoping that Eminem has one more good album in him, but I’m not sure about that. With such an ambitious title like Music To Be Murdered By, I expected to be murdered in the style of Jason Voorhees. Instead, it was more like being curb-stomped by a butt-hurt Eminem stan for a few minutes, then walking it off later.


6/10


Stream Music To Be Murdered By here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters