Poppy - I Disagree ALBUM REVIEW

I have never watched a single Poppy video in my lifetime. To her cultish fans, they’d pretty much lose it, but I’m in the same boat as a lot of people. Her first album, Poppy.Computer, was a mix of Lady Gaga, Grimes, and many J-Pop acts that felt like a better concept on paper. Then, her next release Am I a Girl? flipped the script, now with a mix of synth-pop and heavy metal, with Grimes actually being a feature on that album. Now, with her newest full-length project I Disagree, it’s still a mix of pop and heavy metal, but with an emphasis on HEAVY METAL. Let’s get into it.

I Disagree is a heavy metal record with electropop and industrial rock influences. The tonal shifts begin right off the bat with “Concrete,” mixing pop and metal to a jarring degree. It may not be for everyone, but it just happened to hit all of the right notes with me. “BLOODMONEY” is a skull-splitter of a track, but after that, it takes a little bit of a breather with tracks like “Fill the Crown” and “Sick of the Sun.” For whatever reason, the closing track “Don’t Go Outside” is a truly amazing recap of the album’s highlights and is most likely the best closer of this year (or even decade) so far. It’s crazy to me that Poppy can be singing about eating sweets and candy to being buried alive in seconds. Literally seconds. Poppy is a mix of angelic beauty and satanic tendencies, and it’s so unique to hear something like this spearheading the 2020s. Since this was the first major release of the decade to my knowledge, this was a hell of a way to start 2020. I think that the only problem I have with this is that it’s FAR too short. Many 10 track albums have been great this year, Freddie Gibbs’s Alfredo being the best example of it, but I can’t help but wanting more from Poppy and this genre. Actually, that’d be considered a plus in my book.

I Disagree is a very daring artist making very daring music. Poppy has always been such a unique artist and content creator that I can’t believe her audience isn’t bigger than it is. When something is as replayable yet so experimental as I Disagree, it’s something truly special. It’s been a long time since an album has genuinely surprised me and blew away my expectations, but I’ll be remembering I Disagree for a while. This is far and away my favorite metal record ever and is a very strong contender for Album of the Year status.


9/10


Stream I Disagree here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music




Also, guitars get a HELL YEAH/10. This is such an awesome record for the guitars alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters