Pusha-T - My Name is My Name ALBUM REVIEW

Pusha-T has always been one of my favorite rappers, although a lot of people like to hype him up. His tenure with his brother, No Malice, in Clipse was legendary and more recently, his 2018 album DAYTONA turned heads with its Drake diss, and the beef they had would shake the hip-hop world to its core. As a member of Kanye West’s GOOD Music group, Pusha-T has always put out a steady amount of work with albums and mixtapes and features on other tracks. Some of his solo projects have always been hit or miss to me, and when I decided to listen to his 2013 ‘debut’ album My Name is My Name, I went into it a little concerned. Let’s see how King Push did on this record.

My Name is My Name is a hip-hop record through and through. Most of the record is produced by West himself, and by his standards, none of the beats truly stood out to me. It didn’t make me feel hyped or just disappointed. It felt empty. I felt nothing at all listening to most of these songs. While I can’t deny Push’s writing style and how great he has been throughout his entire career, the themes just feel so played out now. He’s made many more AND better songs about the same topics that are throughout My Name is My Name. Also, let’s talk about the features. Only two songs, the first two songs, don’t have features. Ten out of the twelve songs on this record have at least one feature on it, and most of them disappoint. Rick Ross is awkward on “Hold On,” Chris Brown feels like a scapegoat to a radio hit on “Sweet Serenade,” and both Big Sean and 2 Chainz sound bored on “Who I Am.” This all sounds negative, but there are some good parts about this record. Kendrick Lamar absolutely demolishes Push on “Nosetalgia,” Pharrell Williams gives a cold and spine-chilling refrain on the album closer “S.N.I.T.C.H.,” and who doesn’t like Kelly Rowland? At least in the context of “Let Me Love You,” I like Kelly Rowland.

Overall, Pusha-T just didn’t play his cards right on My Name is My Name. It had some decent highs like the Kendrick Lamar feature, but there’s just so much that I wasn’t a fan of on this record that it completely negates the good stuff about it. It feels strange to say that about a Pusha-T record since he’s been around for over a decade, but My Name is My Name definitely has its audience; I’m just not sitting in that audience.


4/10


Stream My Name is My Name here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music




THIS ALBUM ART SO MUCH BETTER THAN THAT STUPID BARCODE ALBUM ART.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters