Laura Marling - Song for Our Daughter ALBUM REVIEW

I wish I was more invested in singer-songwriter music. I can appreciate the iconic figures in the genre, but this type of genre has always been hit-or-miss with me. When I love a record, I love it but I don’t tend to go back to it often. Phoebe Bridgers is a good example of this. I loved her album Punisher from earlier this year, but I rarely go back and listen to it. After hearing all the praise that Laura Marling had received over the years, I decided to check out her latest album Song for Our Daughter. Here are my thoughts on it. Not much to explain since this was pretty much an on the whim listen.

Song for Our Daughter is a singer-songwriter album with folk influences throughout. The sound for this album is simple but effective. There’s not a lot of experimentation with the sound and instruments, but Marling’s voice is enough to seal the deal. The concept is an interesting one, I’d like to think. All of these songs are essentially letters to Marling’s fictional daughter, akin to Maya Angelou’s book Letter to My Daughter. They’re the same concept, but both work pretty well. Marling’s writing and vocals complement the instrumentals perfectly, albeit a little simple. While simple can be a pro and a con, this is a pretty big pro. A lot of the tracks are catchy and want me to play the tracks again as I try to listen through the whole album for this review. If I had to compare the works of other artists to give a good vibe on what you’d be getting into, I’d say it’s a mix of Joni Mitchell and Father John Misty. I like both of those artists, and Laura Marling is right up with those artists.

Song for Our Daughter sounds simple but underneath the infectious melodies and Laura Marling’s beautiful performance, it’s a masterclass of writing and vocal performance. The minimalist tone of the record threw me off at first, but I ended up really liking this album. If you still think singer-songwriter albums are boring or sleepy, this won’t convince you, though.


7/10


Stream Song for Our Daughter here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters