Westside Gunn - Flygod is an Awesome God 2 ALBUM REVIEW

Griselda has been on a roll lately. A film, multiple albums already this year, and a constant stream of features have kept Westside Gunn on the map. His last studio effort (and a strong contender for Album of the Year for me) Pray for Paris surprised me and I felt bad that I hadn’t heard of Westside Gunn and Griselda before listening to it. Not even three months after Pray for Paris comes Flygod is an Awesome God 2, the LP sequel to the mixtape of the same name. I adored the first mixtape and coming off of Pray for Paris, I was hoping that this would at least scratch the surface of how great that was. Let’s get into Flygod is an Awesome God 2 and see how it is.

Flygod is an Awesome God 2 is a hip-hop record. Like his previous projects, the beats are very minimalist and Gunn’s adlibs are loud and abrasive. Just looking off of the tracklist, I could tell that this wasn’t going to be as grand and a spectacle as Pray for Paris, but that’s not a bad thing. The aforementioned beats are also pretty great, maybe among the best collection of them this year so far. The looped soul samples give the record a very chilled feeling and if you know me, I’m a sucker for a good soul sample. After finishing the album, I can say without a doubt that this isn’t on the level of Pray for Paris. It has more of an improvised and unfocused feel, but the biggest problem I have with it is that nearly everything else is better than Gunn himself. I’ve already talked about the beats, but what about the features? Benny the Butcher, Boldy James, Armani Caesar, and Stove God Cooks are outshine Gunn on his tracks. Also, his R&B tracks aren’t too stellar.

Although this seemed like a pretty negative review, I didn’t mind Flygod is an Awesome God 2. It’s fine. I didn’t think this was going to be the next Pray for Paris, but this feels more like a victory lap because Pray for Paris went over well in the rap community. With at least two more projects coming from Westside Gunn alone this year, I’m hoping that the quantity over quality trend doesn’t continue.


6/10


Stream Flygod is an Awesome God 2 here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters