My Thoughts on the 2020 Billboard Music Awards

Yes, there will be a review coming out tonight, but consider this a special bonus post.


I honestly had nothing better to do. Last weekend was a little slow compared to the past weeks when it came to new releases, and I needed to come up with some content. On Wednesday night, I noticed that the Billboard Music Awards were on. Now, when it comes to these types of awards, they work a little bit differently than the Grammys. If you keep track of Billboard charts, those are a big determination of who the winners would be. Save for a couple categories, sales determine who the winners are. I’m going to go over the general categories like Top Billboard 200 Album and Top Hot 100 Song, and also touch on the genres that I like or of note this year. I’ll say if I agree with the quality of the music and deserved the win outside of the sales. Let’s get into it!

First, we’re going to get into the overall genre categories. The nominees for Top Billboard 200 Album were WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? by Billie Eilish, thank u, next by Ariana Grande, Free Spirit by Khalid, Hollywood’s Bleeding by Post Malone, and Lover by Taylor Swift. In any case, all of these are heavy hitters. The trophy ended up going to Eilish, her album just barely being the highest selling in Billboard’s eligible times. Honestly, I don’t mind this. I would have given it to Ariana just based on quality alone, but Billie’s album is a good pick, even if it’s safe. The nominees of Top Hot 100 Song were Lewis Capaldi’s “Someone You Loved,” Billie Eilish’s “bad guy,” Lil Nas X and Billy Ray Cyrus’s “Old Town Road,” Lizzo’s “Truth Hurts,” and Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello’s “Señorita.” After seeing how many records “Old Town Road” broke, I’m not surprised that Nas X and Cyrus got the award. I personally would’ve given it to “Señorita” since it was my favorite track out of the bunch. Vying for the prestigious Top Artist award were Billie Eilish, the Jonas Brothers, Khalid, Post Malone, and Taylor Swift. Post Malone ended up winning this because of his dominant run of singles and overall popularity in mainstream music. It’s great for him, but I think it should’ve gone to Eilish.

Now, we’re gonna dive into the rap categories, and if I’m being honest, Post Malone nearly swept this whole category. Posty won Top Rap Male Artist and overall Top Rap Artist, along with Top Rap Album in the form of Hollywood’s Bleeding and Top Rap Tour over Drake and Travis Scott. The only rap award he didn’t win that he was nominated in was Top Rap Song, which went to “Old Town Road,” also beating songs by Lizzo and Lil Tecca. He really couldn’t qualify for Top Rap Female Artist, which went to Cardi B over Megan Thee Stallion and City Girls. When it comes to sales, Post Malone was the clear winner here. He had the most nominations overall as well with 16, so he was bound to go home with awards. It’s also sad that other talents like Roddy Ricch, Young Thug, and the late Juice WRLD weren’t recognized solely because of lower sales than Post Malone. I get that it’s Billboard running the show, but it still kinda hurts to see them go unrecognized.

For the final section, we’re gonna get into the pop categories. Wait, there’s no categories specifically for the pop genre? Fuck, there goes my whole plan. I guess I’ll touch upon the category that lit Twitter up in flames for this paragraph: Top Duo/Group. There’s usually a clear winner in this category, but it was unusually competitive this year. Dan + Shay, the Jonas Brothers, Maroon 5, and Panic! At The Disco were all nominated. They all have pretty decent fan bases, but there’s one more group that I didn’t mention that’s incredibly important, and that’s BTS. They’ve won Top Social Artist for the past four years, including this year, and it’s not gonna stop for a while. While their career is at a fever pitch right now, their numbers on the Billboard charts weren’t as dominant during the eligibility period. Still, the ARMY did all they could to convince them, but the award ended up going to the Jonas Brothers. While I do appreciate BTS and their music, the world stopped when the Jonas Brothers made their comeback. It was absolutely unescapable, and sales records were broken. The Jonas Brothers absolutely deserved the award. I can also go on a limb and say that BTS will without a doubt win in this category next year. Quote me on that.

Well, other than those things, it was kinda underwhelming and very predictable. Yes, I look at the Billboard charts and that might have to do with it, but there really wasn’t any variety in the show as a whole either. I guess it’s just me, but awards shows just don’t do it for me that much anymore. Hopefully the Grammys will be more varied in their performances and their nominees, which is less likely, quite frankly.



Follow me on my socials

Instagram/Twitter: cordavision

Snapchat: ryancordaro19

Last.fm: Gorbachoo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters