Billy Woods - Aethiopes ALBUM REVIEW

Why not continue to be great, you know?


For how busy this week is for music, this is by far one of my most anticipated releases of the year. Ever since I saw Armand Hammer live, both Billy Woods and ELUCID have shot up some of my favorite artists working right now. When it comes to Woods specifically, it’s always been interesting to dissect what he’s speaking about in his music. It even began earlier with the announcement of this album, Aethiopes, where I discussed what the cover was with some friends and researched the topic. It sounds a little nerdy, but I think it actually helped me prepare for what kind of project we’re gonna get into with this. Aethiopes is produced entirely by Preservation and the features include ELUCID, El-P, Quelle Chris, Denmark Vassey, and Boldy James, among others. Let’s get into Aethiopes.

I’m not gonna sugarcoat this statement, so I’ll just say it: I’m pretty sure I’m not smart enough to get the whole concept of this album just yet. I’ve typically run into this when listening to Woods’s albums, and that’s part of the hook for me with this. Preservation’s production gives the atmosphere of this album a much more haunting tone and is honestly some of the best beats that Woods has gone over, in my opinion. Woods is at his most cryptic yet when it comes to his lyrics, and even if that seems daunting at first, I’m personally interested in listening to the music and getting at what he’s going for in this concept. I also think that this is a more subdued project of his, and yet there’s something about this that just makes you shut up and listen to what Woods is saying here. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Aethiopes is something truly special. Billy Woods cements himself as one of hip-hop’s best songwriters ever.


10/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Aethiopes is a Backwoodz Studioz release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters