Vince Staples - Ramona Park Broke My Heart ALBUM REVIEW

Ramona Flowers Broke My Heart.


I’ve always liked Vince Staples in some capacity. Hell Can Wait and Summertime 06 are good albums for me to go back to every now and then, Big Fish Theory and FM! are boundary-pushing projects that are some of my favorites of the years they dropped, but the first time he kind of disappointed me was his Kenny Beats-produced self-titled album from last year. Admittedly, it did grow on me a little as time went on, but it’s still the project I revisit the least from him. That didn’t stop me from being hyped for Ramona Park Broke My Heart to the point where I didn’t even listen to the singles when they dropped. Let’s get into Ramona Park Broke My Heart and see what I thought about it.

There’s still a part of me that really wants another Big Fish Theory-esque album with more electronic production, but it seems like that was for one album. I do think that there’s been a little bit of a trade-off in Vince as a performer, with the more bombastic deliveries going away for more introspective and mature lyrics. Even if I do prefer the former, this style really suits what the concept of this album is, and that’s the feeling of home and what it can do to someone. I think this is his most realized concept, and oddly enough, the whole album feels like it could work very well as a play. Outside of that, I think the production here is pretty great. A lot of it has the same West Coast feeling that most of his career has had up to this point, but the true star is Vince’s writing. In a nutshell, Ramona Park Broke My Heart impressed me. Vince Staples’s writing is front and center in one of his best projects yet.


8/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Ramona Park Broke My Heart is a Blacksmith / Motown Records release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters