Frank Ocean - Endless ALBUM REVIEW (SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT)

For those that don’t keep track, this post is my 100th review I’ve done since starting this back in April. I wanna thank each and every person that has looked at my writing and my opinions that I’ve never really been able to share outside of just talking with friends. I also have a pretty cool announcement to make: I will be starting an interview series later this year, with many different kinds of people. There’s no set schedule for these interviews, but they’re going to be existing on this page at some point. The first edition will be with indie-rock artist Garrett Case, and I’m currently in the planning stages of working out an interview with up-and-coming artist Ashnikko in promotion for her upcoming mixtape Demidevil. The Ashnikko interview is not confirmed to be happening yet, and I’ll keep all of you updated on that! Now, onto the review!

Frank Ocean has always had a special place in my heart. While I don’t think Frank Ocean has a so-called ‘perfect’ album, he’s a pretty great artist. Now, I’ve already reviewed blond, so I decided to take a look at an often-overlooked album in his discography, Endless. This was a visual album that was released one day before blond and, like blond at first, was exclusive to Apple Music for a while. Endless eventually got an official CD and vinyl release two years after release, and since I got the vinyl, I decided to take a spin and review it for you guys. Let’s get right into the review!

Endless is an R&B album with pop, hip-hop, and ambient influences. This was originally the album that completed his contract with Def Jam, then went to release blond and that was the big star of the show. Endless legitimately has one of the most beautiful songs I’ve heard, and it’s the first overall song on the album that isn’t the intro. It’s a new cover of “At Your Best (You Are Love)” by The Isley Brothers, and OH MY GOD. It’s just a perfect song, it’ll forever give me chills and honestly be one of my favorite songs of all time. The lyrics here aren’t anything to gawk at, but that isn’t the main attraction here. It’s the vibe, the ambient droning of nearly every song. It’s the vignettes that are catchy as hell but are begging to continue. The lyrics are fun, Frank’s performance is absolutely haunting, and it’s one of the most consistent albums I’ve heard ever.

That last sentence pretty much sums up how I feel about Endless. It’s a bona-fide masterpiece, and if I’m being honest, I prefer this over blond mainly because of “At Your Best.” It’s a beautiful beautiful album and will forever stun me every time I give it a spin.


10/10


Stream Endless here

Apple Music

YouTube Music



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters