Rich Brian - 1999 EP REVIEW

I already covered Rich Brian’s music very recently, so I’m not going to get into the details of his career. Getting right into it, this is his new EP titled 1999, named after his birth year. Today’s his birthday, by the way, so happy birthday! 1999 is reportedly a teaser of what his sound will be like on his next album, not unlike Drake’s latest mixtape from a few months back. Alright, I’ve talked enough about this, let’s just get right into it.

1999 is a rap EP with pop influences. There are three types of Rich Brian on this project: Bangers, acoustic tracks, and pop. Now, I can also say that the more minimal songs like “Sins” are my favorite tracks of his. There’s something about this that just rubs me the right way. Either way, the bangers on here are pretty good, which I consider to be “Don’t Care” and “Long Run.” The rest of the tracks don’t do as much for me, though. They just feel like filler for this to be a full EP instead of a couple loose singles. Also, this really reminds me of Kid Cudi’s early albums, like Man on the Moon. The deep voice, the summery vibe, and even his style of rapping are very reminiscent of Cudi.

I told you it was short, it’s an EP. I see 1999 as an experiment. I think this is Rich Brian testing the waters to see if he wants to continue with this more pop/less rap route on his next full-length project. I think this is quite a mixed bag of tracks, though. It feels a lot like a bunch of loose singles jumbled onto a curated playlist. Jumbled or not, this is a decent set of tracks, and I’ll still be looking forward to his next project, whenever that may be.


5/10


Stream 1999 here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters