Backxwash - God Has Nothing To Do With This Leave Him Out Of It ALBUM REVIEW

OH NO NO PLEASE GOD HELP ME.

Backxwash is an artist that I’m mad at myself for not finding sooner. I first found out about her when the shortlist for the 2020 Polaris Music Prize was announced. For the uninitiated, the Polaris Music Prize is an awards show in Canada that honors artists hailing from that country, whether or not they’re independent artists or one of the biggest stars on the planet. Backxwash had won the top honors with this album right here, God Has Nothing To Do With This Leave Him Out Of It, getting shortlisted ahead of The Weeknd and Daniel Caesar, and coming out over more well-known names like Kaytranada, Jessie Reyez, and Lido Pimienta. Once I had seen this, I finally got to listen to this project earlier this year. So, yes, this is technically a re-listen, but since it was taken off of streaming services, I had to resort to YouTube. Either way, here’s my thoughts on it.

God Has Nothing To Do With This Leave Him Out Of It is BRUTAL. In fact, it’s one of the roughest listens (or re-listen, in this case) in a very long time. This is a good thing, though, and it showcases Backxwash’s very unique production style. The production is grimey and incredibly dark, and the samples are out of this world. For me, though, it’s Backxwash herself that really makes this project for me. Her delivery on these tracks are fiery and in your face, with the satanic lyrics throughout the album adding to that tension. What this album and Backxwash’s style reminds me of is clipping.’s last two projects, There Existed an Addiction to Blood and Visions of Bodies Being Burned, but the ‘horror’ aspects turned up to an 11. No wonder they’re set to collaborate on Backxwash’s next project, which I believe is set to drop in May.

Even after re-listens, I’m still pretty blown away by God Has Nothing To Do With This Leave Him Out Of It. Backxwash is a loud voice in this massive lane of up-and-coming rappers, and out of nearly all of them, I think she has so much potential here to make some huge waves.


9/10


Listen here

YouTube



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters