DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ - Charmed ALBUM REVIEW

Serotonin fans, this one’s for you.


It’s not too often that I sit down and listen to some long-ass albums. One of my favorite jazz albums, Kamasi Washington’s The Epic, is three hours long. The other written review coming out later this week is of an album that’s nearly four hours long. When it comes to long albums like this, it really makes me realize that music can be made, and a large amount of time can be put into this. For any artist, making a long album is a very risky move. Migos made Culture II, and it ended up being a nearly two-hour mess of an album that should’ve been a large mixtape instead of Migos’ next studio album. While it may not be to an extent, Drake’s 2018 double album Scorpion had some of the same issues, even if the songs were at least better. Now, in 2021 (or 2020, when the project dropped), we have one of the longest electronic projects I’ve ever heard: Charmed by DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ. I had never heard of DJ Sabrina at all before this, but a friend of mine had sent me the Bandcamp page of DJ Sabrina, so I decided to give Charmed a shot. Here are my thoughts on it.

As I’ve stated, listening to albums as long as this and it being a successful art piece is quite a tough task. I was a little skeptical heading into this, though. If I’m being totally honest, I thought it was an internet joke. The name of the artist, the very hokey album cover, the runtime, everything about it seemed off. Luckily, Charmed handles this quite well and is actually one of the most consistent electronic albums I’ve heard in a while. It’s obviously a dance and electronic album, but there’s elements of all kinds of house music here and even plunderphonics, which is hard to come by on major streaming services like Spotify or Apple Music. With this being a three hour album and 31-track album, there are some long songs on here. While they’re rarely stale, I feel like as the album goes on, some of the tracks begin to blend in a little too much. There were some points where I felt like songs were being replayed, but outside of that, there’s a lot to love about this.

Charmed has this, well, charm to it. It oozes with soul and just has this life to it that cannot be understated. Even with the massive runtime, it isn’t that much of an undertaking to listen to this album. DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ has done something here that’s near impossible: make three hours of music worth it. Even with some flaws, Charmed is a must-listen album. Let’s just say that I was caught up in its spell.


9/10


Listen here

YouTube Music



Charmed is a Spells On The Telly release.

Comments

  1. I like your all post. You have done really good work. Thank you for the information you provide, it helped me a lot. I hope to have many more entries or so from you.
    Very interesting blog.
    vstmenia.com
    darkwave-studio Crack

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters