Anna Fox Rochinski - Cherry ALBUM REVIEW

Oddly enough, I had a quilt over me while writing this.


Anna Fox Rochinski has been an artist that I found out about recently, her video for the title track from this album being sent to me by a friend. I enjoyed it a lot, so I decided to take a listen to the possibly-defunct band that she was in, Quilt. I enjoyed the psychedelic folk that was intertwined throughout most of that band’s projects, and when I found out that Rochinski’s solo debut, Cherry, was set to drop later that month, I just knew I had to jump on that. Enough talk, let’s get into the music.

Unlike the works of Quilt, there are different influences at play. Rochinski herself had said that Beck (specifically Midnite Vultures Beck), Can, Madonna, and early Robyn were heavy influences on that. I can see why. I’m a fan of all the experimentation in sound on here, especially on the track “Everybody’s Down,” and all of that gives the indie-pop attempts on Cherry a pretty unique feeling. The instrumentation here almost feels like a math equation; it all seems so calculated and I just adore it. When it comes to the lyrics and vocal performances, Rochinski’s relaxed and airy vocals emphasize the somewhat somber lyrics that are all written by her.

Overall, Cherry is a pretty great solo outing for Anna Fox Rochinski. I might even enjoy it more than her Quilt projects. I’m really hoping to hear more of this, even if some of the tracks are hit or miss on here. This is a definite recommendation for anyone who’s into indie-pop or alternative music, and I’m hoping to hear more from Rochinski soon.


8/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Cherry is a Don Giovanni Records release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters