redveil - niagara ALBUM REVIEW

Shoutout to Fantano for hating on this so I can check it out for myself.
Cordavision > TheNeedleDrop.


Back in the 90s and early 00s, it was tough for independent artists to make it big. You had to be a part of the commercial machine and get big on the radio. These days, anyone can make music and get it out there, and if you gain a cult following or go viral on social media, you could gain a label contract out of it. Case in point, Maryland rapper redveil is one of the newest examples of this. He recently made it big with his debut album niagara late last summer, after putting out a mixtape, bittersweet cry, in December 2019. I’ve heard both projects many times, and I’ve finally gotten around to talking about niagara in full. Let’s do it.

Right from the few first seconds of the first track, I thought of Earl Sweatshirt, specifically of his most recent LP, Some Rap Songs. I am a very big fan of that album and of Earl in general, so that was a good sign right off the bat. I also think R.A.P. Ferreria had a pretty big influence on this project, mainly because I had just heard Purple Moonlight Pages recently. There’s been one thing I’ve intentionally left out so far in this review, and I’m gonna tell you why I’ve done this: redveil was 16 years old when he made niagara.

The production and delivery by redveil throughout this whole project is just made more impressive that he’s at such a young age. I do think it reminds me a little too much of Earl’s more recent music, but it’s made up for all the great things about this project. The features here also do their thing. Chris Patrick, Junii, Cameron Bolden, Donte Thomas, and D’Mari Harris all give very good contributions, especially Junii and Chris Patrick, who I’m actually in a group chat with on Twitter. He’s a cool guy.

Let me just say these two words: Holy shit. I haven’t seen this much potential in an artist in a long time, maybe even ever. redveil has really set himself apart on niagara. For someone at such a young age, it’s genuinely impressive to see redveil thriving this much right now. If I made something like niagara, I’d be messaging every single friend and family member I know to spread the word. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT sleep on redveil. He’s going places.


9/10


Listen here

YouTube Music





niagara is self-released.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters