Moor Mother - Jazz Codes ALBUM REVIEW

Is it bad to say that I want Moor of this? I’ll see myself out...


I’ve spoken about Moor Mother on here before, and I think she’s one of the most important artists working right now. Her last album, Black Encyclopedia of the Air, was one of last year’s best albums and I continue to go back to it every now and then. Now, we have Jazz Codes, which could be seen as a love letter to jazz, and every section of it is written by one of the mystifying artists of this decade so far. Let’s get into what I thought about Jazz Codes.

Let me just say right off the bat that, like most of Moor Mother’s records, this isn’t that much of an easy listen. While it’s still very much an abstract rap album to its core, there are many more genres of music at hand here. Multiple subgenres of jazz like spiritual jazz, free jazz, and avant-garde jazz are just as prevalent as abstract and jazz rap. Even the ambient undertones here add more and more layers to this project. Many tracks on here feel uncanny and ethereal because of how much is going into each track, whether it’s the production or Moor Mother’s stunning poetry passages. I actually think it’s quite overwhelming to the senses to try and pick apart what inspirations lie in this project, whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing. Honestly, I’m at a loss of words when it comes to Jazz Codes. Moor Mother’s awe-inspiring love letter to jazz is one of the most adventurous releases of the decade.


10/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Jazz Codes is an ANTI- release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters