Steve Lacy - Gemini Rights ALBUM REVIEW

CAPRISONGS vs. Gemini Rights. Fight.


I’ve always enjoyed Steve Lacy’s work with a catch. Oddly enough, his first solo album Apollo XXI really didn’t do anything for me at all, but his work with Odd Future-adjacent R&B group The Internet has always stood out to me more than his solo work. I am a sucker for some good neo-soul though, so why Apollo XXI didn’t click for me is beyond me. Either way, I’ve been pretty excited about his next release, Gemini Rights. How does it sound? Let’s get into it.

In a weird way, there was an immediate comparison that I made a little bit after my first listen of this, and it was André 3000’s The Love Below, the second half of Outkast’s iconic double album. There’s no deep comparison on it like a similar theme or Lacy sounding like 3 Stacks at all, that’s just the vibe I felt while listening to this. Another thing about this is that this is beautifully produced across the board. Lacy’s voice, the beats, everything just comes together so smoothly. He also just knows how to make a damn good pop album. Like, he knows the basics about how to make a good, catchy song and he did that ten times on this album. Maybe that’s where that The Love Below comparison came from. Overall, Gemini Rights is a great time. Steve Lacy drops the album his career’s been deserving of.


8/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Gemini Rights is an RCA Records / Sony Music Entertainment release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters