The Gauntlet Run: July 2022

Welcome to the new edition of The Gauntlet Run. I’m gonna go through some albums/EPs that I didn’t get the chance to review when they dropped within the past few months! These aren’t going to be too thorough, but hopefully, it’s enough to tide you over on the projects I didn’t check out.



Alanis Morissette - The Storm Before the Calm
An Alanis Morissette ambient album was certainly something that wasn’t on my bingo card, and admittedly, this isn’t that bad. However, this is longer than Finding Nemo, and any album longer than Finding Nemo automatically loses a couple of stars.


Angel Olsen - Big Time
I’ll state once again that country music has never been my thing, but when I do pick out country music I like, it’s mainly because of the writing. Angel Olsen is no different, and even with this, the production is very nice too!


Artificial Brain - Artificial Brain
Science fiction-inspired death metal is a very cool concept on paper, and it sounds even better when it hits your eardrums. What’s cool about this is that it doesn’t feel like a gimmick at all. The whole idea of it simply works, and if you’re a fan of death metal, don’t miss Artificial Brain.


Asian Glow - Stalled Flutes, means
This guy just doesn’t stop at all. He just keeps putting out great projects back to back, and if only I had the time to, I would’ve covered this album in its entirety. Instead, let’s just say that he’s quickly climbing up my list as one of my favorite shoegaze artists working right now.


Chris Brown - Breezy
We have to end the era of Chris Brown R&B double albums. Plain and simple. This has some cool songs, but it’s gone way too far. This is the third time he’s done this and it’s genuine hell. This isn’t the worst thing I’ve ever heard, but it’s just way too long.


Conan Gray - Superache
Honestly, what do I say about this? I mean, “Footnote” is cool as fuck, but the rest of it really blended in. I fully understand why Conan Gray is as popular as he is, but it sounds like he could try just a little bit more.


Duke Deuce - CRUNKSTAR
I’ve realized with this project that I really only like Duke Deuce when it comes to his singles. This is a very cool project either way, but it wouldn’t convert anyone to a fan if they really don’t have that taste. Plus, the Rico Nasty feature is awesome and that’s also cool.


Foals - Life Is Yours
I hadn’t heard of Foals before this album, and it’s pretty fun. It’s actually pretty easy to dance to, it’s catchy, but I really do think it stops there for me. Consistency is key for bands like this, and while Foals has that, it just ends at the catchiness. Let’s just hope it doesn’t stay that way for them.


French Montana & Harry Fraud - Montega
What do you know? I actually liked a French Montana album. Harry Fraud has always been a good producer, and I have no clue what happened, but I’m pretty sure that unlocked something in French that just worked. Hopefully, it’s not a one-time thing.


Juicy J & Pi’erre Bourne - Space Age Pimpin’
There’s a funny NFT song on here and it’s actually kinda sad. Juicy J sounds washed up on this and Pi’erre Bourne’s beats are quite literally the saving grace here. There’s nothing else to say.


Kep1er - Doublast
It’s hard to live up to one of my favorite K-pop albums ever, Kep1er’s debut album, and honestly, this is just more Kep1er. If you like any kind of K-pop, this will for sure be up your alley.


klwn cat & Nonazz - The Turning Point
Honestly, I simply really enjoyed this. The producer-rapper combo here is electric, but if I had to pick one I prefer, klwn cat’s beats are way too good for someone just starting at this music thing. I’m very curious to see where it goes.


Left at London - Transgender Street Legend, Vol. 3
This is yet another example of Left at London’s great writing, and this has much more of a rough streak when it comes to the actual sound. It may sound like demos sometimes, but I actually like that a lot more. The trilogy wraps up with style.


Meshuggah - Immutable
I’ve realized that I can be very picky with the metal music I like, and this just didn’t click with me. Unlike the skeleton on this kick-ass cover, I like metal with some meat on its bones, and this just felt… naked. I was thinking of going into Meshuggah’s discography, but if this is how the rest of their music is, I’ll be tuning out of it.


MUNA - MUNA
This is a great example of a self-titled album really seeming like a reflection of the group making it. For sure one of the most fun listens of the year so far, and they all seem so happy when playing the music together. That’s what music should be about.


Perfume Genius - Ugly Season
I absolutely adore the artistry on stage here within Perfume Genius, especially going more experimental with the art-pop/art-rock sound. It’s quite an interesting listen that definitely should be taken on.


Spacey Jane - Here Comes Everybody
Australian indie-pop is a genre of music that I really didn’t get into as much because of King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard filling that musical Aussie void, but Spacey Jane is pretty cool. Admittedly, it has ‘background music syndrome,’ but it’s still pretty good!


Turnabout - Cutter Lane
If you know anything at all about Sematary or the Haunted Mound label, you pretty much know exactly what kind of mixtape this is. While this isn’t my favorite project in the Haunted Mound camp, I definitely see the potential in Turnabout and makes me interested in seeing where he goes in his career.


Vory - Lost Souls
Like, I fully understand why Vory’s becoming popular. He sounds cool and has a good voice, but this was just boring as all hell. There are even some tracks on here that feel like a poor man’s Post Malone. I’m literally blanking on what else to type. It’s just painfully generic that could be done way better.


Zola Jesus - Arkhon
I’ve never even heard of Zola Jesus, and the combo of sounds at work here is pretty cool. It’s not every day that darkwave is used in a more mainstream release, so that’s always a plus. The production is for sure the standout here, but it’s still pretty cool!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters