Lizzo - Special ALBUM REVIEW

There are three different people with the name Chris involved in one song, it’s basically the Marvel movies now.


It’s no secret that Lizzo is a star at this point. While I appreciate her social media game about positivity (even if it’s not necessarily for me), I thought her last album, Cuz I Love You, is quite good. Some songs from that project are still in my rotation, and “Boys” is one of my favorite pop hits from the past decade. That being said, whatever Lizzo did next from a music standpoint would have my attention. While “About Damn Time” was certainly a fine song, it just didn’t do anything. Either way, we have Special now, so let’s just get into it.

Right off the bat, I’m very happy that the song she did with Cardi B isn’t on this because it’s one of her worst songs. That’s a good start. Like on her past music, her voice is honestly what hits it out of the park for me, and while it doesn’t hit the same heights as her last album, it’s still very good. Where this project lacks, though, is the production. At many times, it feels like she’s trying to reach for another Tik Tok hit like “About Damn Time” and isn’t succeeding, and I think it’s holding her back from making something as great as “Boys” or “Truth Hurts.” Overall, Special just isn’t that special. Lizzo just barely lives up to the standard she’s set.


6/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Special is an Atlantic Records / Nice Life release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters