Rico Nasty - Las Ruinas MIXTAPE REVIEW

This cover just reminds me of Vespertine.


Rico Nasty has been an artist I’ve been keeping my eye on for a while. The mixtape she released with Kenny Beats was really the first time I had even heard of her, and it was great. Her debut album from a couple years back, Nightmare Vacation, was also very enjoyable, and it even got her that mainstream appeal that I think she’s been deserving for a while now. After Nightmare Vacation, I was wondering if she’d stick with the more mainstream sound or not. After announcing her next mixtape Las Ruinas and some of the singles, it seemed like it was going to get much more experimental, which really excited me. So, let’s not waste any time and get into Las Ruinas.

I’d say that the biggest change when it comes to Rico herself is her lyrics. They’re much more vulnerable than the other stuff I’ve heard, and this gives the mixtape a whole new layer that I like to hear. Alongside that, the turn to a more experimental sound helps make Las Ruinas a pretty big risk of a mixtape. Even the features are great too. I have no idea who Bktherula is, but she sounded amazing. Teezo Touchdown continues to grab my attention for each verse I hear, but the biggest surprise is Marshmello of all people. The beat he contributes is genuinely great, which might be in the running for the biggest surprise of the year so far. Of course, the 100 gecs beat is great too. Overall, I’m glad that Las Ruinas turned out like this. Rico Nasty takes a huge risk and makes her best project yet.


9/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Las Ruinas is a Sugar Trap release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters