Wormrot - Hiss ALBUM REVIEW

They’re just little trolls. If you know, you know.


I’m still just a little baby when it comes to metal in general, so grindcore is basically a new concept to me entirely. I’ve heard the iconic one, the great Nails’s Unsilent Death, and I covered the last Full of Hell album on this site. This time, though, is essentially my first dive into grindcore without any background on the group, this group being Wormrot. Hiss is the name of the project, so let’s get into what I thought about it.

I’m of the mindset that grind needs to have that nasty edge, you know? I feel like it’s a given, but I feel like I gotta state this since this is one of the first times I’m covering it on here. So, that being said, I don’t have all the knowledge there is about grindcore or powerviolence or anything like that. However, this project is nasty as all hell. This has a lot of ambition laced into the performances and songwriting as well, with vocalist Arif Rot having had to sell his soul to the devil for his screams to sound so hellish. There are even points where I was simply speechless while listening to it, especially the eardrum-shattering closing track. It’s exciting, it’s new, and at least to my knowledge, it’s rewriting the rules to a genre of music. Any music that does that is something truly special. Hiss isn’t just the best grindcore album I’ve heard, it’s one of the best metal-adjacent albums I’ve ever heard. Wormrot must have made a deal with the devil to make one of the best grindcore albums ever.


10/10


Listen here

YouTube Music




Hiss is a Earache release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters