Boldy James - The Versace Tape ALBUM REVIEW

Boldy James has always been an artist I’ve looked out for, but I’ve never been a consistent fan of his. He’s always been a spotty performer to me, and while I may be in the minority on that, that’s just what I think. Recently, he became the newest member of Griselda Records, which excites me a lot. Many of my new favorite rappers this year have come from Griselda, and maybe this will be his star-turning moment. The Versace Tape is entirely produced by Jay Versace, who was a former Vine star-turned producer. Here’s a vine of his, if you wanna remember who he is. Now, let’s get into Boldy James’s Griselda debut, The Versace Tape.

The Versace Tape is a hip-hop record. Uh, yeah. That’s about right. A constant theme in albums on the Griselda label are the ever-looping and lo-fi beats. There’s always a sense of style to them, and they’re genuinely enjoyable to listen to. It might just be that Boldy James wanted to get something out there for Griselda to get himself known, but this is nowhere near what I want in a Griselda record. I liked the production on this album a lot, as for all Griselda albums, but the lyrics on this album just seem… nonsensical. For some strange reason, this just felt like a slog to listen to. It didn’t keep me interested at all, and that honestly sucks. Even the features weren’t that great. Elcamino, Westside Gunn, Keisha Plum, and Tiona Deniece just don’t seem interested in their contributions and came in for the check. It just feels strange that for an artist that is genuinely talented can put out such a low effort album.

Well, I guess you could call The Versace Tape one of the first disappointing rap albums of this year. I honestly think that Boldy James has so much more potential in him, and he’s proven that he’s capable of showing that talent. It’s just not here at all on The Versace Tape, and that’s very sad.


4/10


Stream The Versace Tape here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters