Kero Kero Bonito - Bonito Generation ALBUM REVIEW

I’ve been on a K-pop/J-pop kick throughout today, if I’ll be honest with you. There’s just a vibe about it I just really enjoy. I think it was that new BLACKPINK/Selena Gomez song that did it. Now, this isn’t a K-pop or J-pop album, but I had heard this album a couple weeks back, and I really wanted to write about it. This just got lost in the shuffle because of all the different requests I’ve gotten and all the new releases I’m trying to keep up with, and I’m so glad I get to talk about this now. This is Kero Kero Bonito, an indie trio from the U.K., which is fronted by lead singer Sarah Bonito. While they’ve blown up a little more since their debut, which I’ll be reviewing here, this is where they truly made an audience. Their debut album Bonito Generation ended up being one of the biggest breakout hits of 2016, and we’re about to get into what’s so unique about this record. Let’s go.

Bonito Generation is an indie album with electronic, pop, bubblegum bass, and J-Pop influences. Man, this album is so WHOLESOME. I have to admit, this is just great on the ears. This album is bright and bubbly and just so innocent! There’s no front to this sound at all. There’s nothing like the lyrics are dark or anything. There’s literally a song here about a song that’s such an earworm that it gets stuck in your head. There’s a song about a trampoline. A trampoline. And it’s great, surprisingly. This is the soundtrack to a children’s birthday party, but you can enjoy it too. This is the McDonald’s Sprite of music. I can only think of comparisons because there’s not a bunch to this record, well, the writing’s self-explanatory, but it’s not bad at all!

So, Bonito Generation. It’s an album that exists, and I appreciate its existence very much. It’s fun, it’s very VERY catchy, and I had a smile on my face for so long that it froze like that one episode of SpongeBob. Just go give this a listen, I’m begging you. You’ll have lots of fun!


8/10


Stream Bonito Generation here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters