Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia ALBUM REVIEW

Time-traveling has always been on my mind. What could I do if I had a time machine and change up the timeline that we’re in? If I’m being totally honest with you, I wouldn’t do anything world-altering like kill Hitler or stop M. Night Shyamalan’s Last Airbender movie from being made, I’d go back for the music. I’d kill to be around for the peak of Beatlemania or even the 70s, which I think is one of the best decades for music ever. The 80s is always one that comes back to my mind, and there’s been a bit of a renaissance in dance-pop as of late. One of those artists that’s trailblazing this revival is Dua Lipa. Her latest album, Future Nostalgia, is a time capsule from forty years ago that has just been reopened. Let’s get into it.

Future Nostalgia is a dance-pop album with HEAVY disco vibes. A lot of mainstream pop music these days is put on a low bar. Everyone expects a lot of great things from the genre but is ultimately let down. Dua Lipa and Future Nostalgia is the music that everyone expects. It’s bubbly and care-free, but it’s also honest. I can’t talk about this album without talking about the production, either. This production is one of the best in a pop album I’ve heard this year. The name Future Nostalgia is also a perfect title for this record since I feel that while it takes notes from the past but also looks to the future of the sound of mainstream pop. There are a couple of tracks that I feel very ‘meh’ about like “Levitate,” but the final three tracks is a great conclusion to the record as well.

Dua Lipa said in 2017 that she wanted to conquer the world. Well, she’s not exactly at the world just yet, but because of Future Nostalgia, she’s just conquered top 40 pop music. A bubbly sound, crowd-pleasing production, and just an overall catchiness elevate Dua Lipa’s career to the stratosphere. If she continues to refine her sound just a little bit more, we might have a future classic on our hands.


7/10


Stream Future Nostalgia here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters