Playboi Carti - Die Lit ALBUM REVIEW

As of late, Playboi Carti has been messing with his fans. Whether it’s intentional or not, I personally can’t take his antics anymore. While I can get the appeal of an artist like a Playboi Carti or a Lil Uzi Vert, they just aren’t for me. Playboi Carti’s fanbase are scraping at the bottom of the barrel for content that isn’t a leak or baby-Carti, which he used on his last solo single “@ Meh” and last feature, “Pain 1993” with Drake earlier this year. This voice, to me, is a ‘pain’ to listen to. Since I started in April, I’ve gotten many requests to look over Carti’s music, his most recent album Die Lit in particular. So, lo and behold, I listened to Die Lit, and if you wanna know my thoughts on it, just keep on reading.

Die Lit is a trap album. So, one thing I can say right off the bat is that I really like this sound palette. The beats on this album are very intoxicating. Pi’erre Bourne, Art Dealer, and Donald Cannon are among the producers here, but Pi’erre Bourne is the main producer here. There are also some pretty high profile features here too like Travis Scott, Lil Uzi Vert, Nicki Minaj, and Young Thug, among others. For a debut album after only one major mixtape, those are some pretty big names, and what happens with Die Lit? What does Playboi Carti and Die Lit have that allegedly no other trap albums have? Nonsense. There’s barely any lyrical content here. There isn’t anything here worth noting of writing. I could even say that I lost brain cells after listening through Die Lit, but there’s something about this project, man. Extremely underwritten verses are made up for with absolutely energetic, strange, and downright manic performances from Playboi Carti. Playboi Carti knows his weaknesses, so he just plays to his strengths, and his strengths are making absolute bangers and setting a tone. Normally, I’d think that something so wallpaper as a rap album with little-to-no lyrical content would be god-awful, but this stands out so much with literally every other thing that it’s impossible to be ignored. Die Lit is a hype album in every sense of the word, and quite frankly, this is one of the best hype albums I’ve heard.

Well, color me surprised. I would’ve never thought I’d call a trap album ‘genius,’ but damn, Die Lit is good. Playboi Carti is just playing to his strengths on this record, and when he’s on a roll, he just can’t be stopped. Even as bloated as this project is at 19 tracks and nearly an hour long, Die Lit is an absolute blast to listen to. Just because of this album alone, Playboi Carti isn’t going out of the spotlight any time soon.


9/10


Stream Die Lit here

Spotify

Apple Music

YouTube Music



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters