Boldy James & The Alchemist - Bo Jackson ALBUM REVIEW

I’m about to be the Bo Jackson of e-sports.


As I’ve said quite a bit before, I’ve covered The Alchemist already on this page, so I won’t get into him too much, but I’ll just say that he’s most likely my favorite producer right now. Boldy James, on the other hand, I’ve been mixed on when it comes to his 2020 album run. I’m in the minority on his last album with The Alchemist, The Price of Tea in China, in that I just didn’t care for it that much. I also do think that Manger on McNichols is one of the best rap albums of that year. His albums with Jay Versace and Real Bad Man, The Versace Tape and Real Bad Boldy respectively, also didn’t do too much for me, even if The Versace Tape has a good amount of replay value for me. Now, Boldy and Alc reteam for their third album together, Bo Jackson. With absolutely stacked features from Benny the Butcher, Earl Sweatshirt, Roc Marciano, Stove God Cooks, Freddie Gibbs, and Curren$y, this is shaping up to be a highlight in hip-hop this year. Let’s not waste any more time and get into it.

Alright, let’s start with Boldy. What I like about him most here is his flow on damn near all of these songs. They’re so cold that he could probably make hell freeze over. Unlike some of his more popular projects, Boldy doesn’t really have a story to tell here. He doesn’t really have to, but when he is, I feel like that’s when he’s at his best. That being said, Boldy still sounds great here, his writing is still good here too, but I just prefer his writing on some of his other albums. Before I get into the beats here, I’d like to say that I’m pretty hard on Uncle Al sometimes. Why, do you ask? It’s mainly because he has an amazing track record for his albums. That leads me to say not all the beats clicked for me here. That’s not to say that they’re bad, they’re honestly not far from that, but after how good he’s been doing this year, I just feel like these might’ve been leftovers from his past albums, not beats crafted specifically for Boldy for this album. I may be totally wrong on that, but that’s just me. Also, I’d love to point out that Earl and Roc Marciano had the best features.

Look, that sounded pretty harsh, I know, but this is still a great showing. Boldy James and The Alchemist prove once again that they’re one of the hardest duos working right now. Bo Jackson may not be the strongest in either persons’ discography, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t worth a listen either. Give it a shot and just see how you feel about it.


7/10



Listen here

YouTube Music




Bo Jackson is an ALC Records / Griselda release.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lil Yachty - Let’s Start Here. ALBUM REVIEW

King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse; or, Dawn of Eternal Night: An Annihilation of Planet Earth and the Beginning of Merciless Damnation ALBUM REVIEW

Cities Aviv - Working Title for the Album Secret Waters